We've been in our house for just over a year now and my patient seven year old (is that even a thing?) is long overdue for a "cool room".
When I last showed you his room it looked like this (and still pretty much does). But I have a plan!
I wanted to give Chace an updated room that wasn't a) too grown up (he's only seven after all) b) too young (he's already seven after all) and reused some of the things we already had.
Influenced by the farmhouse craze my mind kept going there as a solution. I loved the masculine elements of that look but also really liked the flexibility it offered. So, I came up with a vision for how I could transform his room from "blah blue bore-ville" to "farmhouse fantasticness" (aka "a room almost as cool as Lego").
I will break down each element below and list my inspiration sources at the bottom of this post.
1) curtains and a dark curtain rod - I envision a nice white curtain and dark rod for a crisp, modern and clean look.
2) update light fixture - I love the look of this one. Not too 'trendy' but stylish enough to suit this look. I love the dark metal.
3) modern industrial reading light. This will go up on the wall above the loft bed so that Chace can read in bed if he likes. The on/off switch on this one is perfect since it's located on the light base. He won't have to get out of bed to turn it off.
4) I plan on planking the wall behind his bed with... wallpaper! Yes, this is wallpaper! I read some great reviews about it so am going to give it a try! I actually just received it a few days ago so stay tuned for how it turns out.
5) Loft bed! We received a hand-me-down loft bed a month or so ago (score!). It's already assembled but needs to be painted to match the vision I have. Stay tuned for that update soon too.
6) His existing bedding from his room at our old house (I think it's been discontinued though).
7) His existing dresser from his room at our old house.
8) Lego artwork - I plan to do something like this, but not quite. I love the idea of getting Chace involved in making art for his room though.
9a) Rustic, industrial modern wood shelves. I like shelves that don't take themselves too seriously and these ones look like they want transformers piled on them.
9b) A big canvas basket to hold rogue stuffies (awwwhhh)
10) A new desk chair. I think homework will be coming fast and furious soon!
11) A new desk. The inspiration is a combo of Ikea elements and I love the finished result.
12) A nice, light coat of paint
So, there we have it! I have been given approval to proceed from the client so now that I have the wood plank wallpaper in my hot little hands I am going to chose a wall colour that complements and begin painting. Then up goes the wall paper. I will keep you posted on the progress!
sources/inspiration: 1a / 1b / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9a / 9b / 10 / 11a / llb / 12
Stay in touch and follow along...